Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

ASSIGNMENT - 'Why Twitter Will Endure' for Public Relations Class

Twitter.  Just hearing the name of it used to be enough to make me sick to my stomach.  I felt it was the incarnation of everything stupid the internet had to offer.  "What a waste of time" I thought, and yet it was spreading (not unlike a zombie plague).

Zombies using Twitter.


And now, as I write this blog post, I can tell you that Edgar Wright composed a horror movie marathon list for the A.V. Club website, I can tell you that Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes will be giving out some 'oral pleasure' in a SModcast in 15 minutes, and I can even tell you that 3 hours ago, my own teacher Kenton Larsen dropped a pile of cash at Danier so he could look more 'leathery'.

I can tell you these things, because I am checking my Twitter feed.  Granted, I only ever signed up for Twitter because it was a requirement in one of my classes, but I do check it of my own volition.  I didn't survive the outbreak...

A Demotivational Poster.
Now, what I've come to realize is that Twitter, like pretty well any other social media website, is whatever you make it.  Twitter is as useful or useless as the visitor allows it to be.  And I don't know, perhaps in the beginning it was riddled with "I just ate a ham sandwich" tweets; but I can tell you by the time I started using it, that certainly wasn't the case.

Twitter is an effective tool for discussions, event planning, staying in touch, networking, comedy, breaking news stories, and just finding out what the hell's going on in the world.  Perhaps if there ever was a zombie outbreak, Twitter may actually be our savior.  We could quickly let people know it's happening, as well as effectively organize to fight back.

Don't make the same mistake Kevin did.
So not only do I think Twitter will endure, I think it might save us...

No comments:

Post a Comment