Search This Blog

Friday, January 13, 2012

My Top 10 Zombies

In the mobs of mindless walking dead, it can be hard to tell one zombie from another.  But certain ghouls have risen above their peers with certain charms; becoming 'undead celebs' if you will.
Here's a list of my favourite zombies who don't just shamble with the crowds, but stand out and moan on their own.


10) Zombie Leader - Land of the Dead (2005)

 

Coming in last place is a type of zombie that I'm not a big fan of, from one of my least favorite zombie movies.

George A. Romero created Land of the Dead as an evolution of the zombie, in which this guy gains intellegence, and eventually leads the rest of the zombies against the humans.

While I'm not a fan of intellegent zombies, I've got to give Zombie Leader credit where credit is due.

He's a revolutionary.  He feels sadness when his fellow undead get their heads blown off, so he banded them together, taught them to use tools, and invaded the human's stronghold.

The ironic part is that he probably achieved more in death than he did in life as a gas jockey.


9) Zombie Stripper - Zombieland (2009)


This zombie only had a brief appearance in the opening credits of Zombieland, but I'm sure she caught some attention for it.

Zombie Stripper confused young boys around the world about their feelings towards animated corpses covered in blood, and she did it in slow motion.


8) Singing Zombie - Shaun of the Dead (2004)


This zombie proves naysayers wrong about the undead having rhythm.  Granted, he won't be the next American Idol, but he moaned in-time to Shaun and Ed's rendition of 'White Lines' by Duran Duran.


7) Burt Reynolds Zombie - Dawn of the Dead (2004)


Not much to say about this guy.  In Dawn of the Dead, the characters succumb to boredom with their life trapped in a mall.  They begin to search for zombies that look like celebrities and pick them off with rifles.

This unfortunate ghoul happened to look like the Bandit himself, and that's enough to get him in my top 10.


6) Zombie Hulk - Marvel Zombies (comic series)


I felt like the Marvel Zombies needed to be represented in my list, and who better to do it than The Incredible Hulk.

After Bruce Banner gets infected, everytime he gets hungry for flesh, he transforms into the Hulk and devours everything in sight.

But, once he has satisfied the hunger, he reverts back to scrawny Banner, still with a belly full of flesh.  Needless to say, Banner's stomach erupts open in the first issue.


5) Zombie Clown - Zombieland (2009)


Zombies: terrifying.  Clowns: terrifying.  Enough said.


4) Executioner - Resident Evil 5 (video game) / Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010)


One bad as motherfucker, the executioner from Resident Evil is the last zombie I'd ever want to have to deal with.

Complete with a mystery inducing hood over his face, nails sticking out of his head and shoulders, and the biggest axe he could possibly carry.


3) Zombie Cyclist - The Walking Dead (comic series) / The Walking Dead (TV series)


While only making a brief appearance in both the comic and TV versions of The Walking Dead, I put this zombie at number 3 because of the amazing make-up and special effects job on her in the show.

She showcases the great work the guys on the show are doing as she crawls legless across the grass, and she is one of the only zombies I have ever truly felt sorry for.


2) Cemetery Zombie - Night of the Living Dead (1968)


Although there's nothing special about him, and he looks like a regular human, Cemetery Zombie deserves to be high on the list.

He's the one who started it all.  The first one we saw stumbling in hunger.  He opened the door for all zombies who would come after him.

Respect.


And now, my #1 favourite zombie of all time:
1) Tarman - The Return of the Living Dead (1985)

Tarman is the shit.  I loved him from the moment I saw him.  There's just something about the way this melted ghoul looks and moves, so I will let the following clip do the talking.  I give you...
Tarman:

5 comments:

  1. Yes!! This was a good zombie list.

    The leader from Land of the Dead was slick - when they all start jumping into the water to storm the city, intense. I always think about the part when they're in the mall, and the zombies bite off that girl's bellybutton ring. It makes me never want to wear hoop piercings.... ever...

    What did you think about the soggy well zombie in season 2 of Walking Dead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I forgot about him. He was pretty epically disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Zombies. They creep me out."

    Good list. I haven't seen Zombieland or Return of the Living Dead, but I'd like to. I hear Return of is hilarious.

    I thought the Marvel Zombies series was a better idea than it was an actual comic book. Have you read the one with Bruce Campbell? Cheesy, but fun for fanboys.

    I just can't get into The Walking Dead tv series. I love love love the comics. But the show has such brutal dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Zomiebland is a movie that you should definitely watch! and the Return is a classic and my favorite

      Delete
  4. I think this might be the perfect place to ask... I'm looking for stills of a specific zombie from the 2004 George A Romeros Dawn of The Dead...
    the zombie is played by David Campbell and is credited in that movie as either 'squished' or 'squashed' zombie.
    David also played the 'legless zombie' in Land of the dead, hes shown pulling himself up the ladder of the 'dead reckoning' armored vehicle

    ReplyDelete